Kaldereta is a popular dish in the Philippines. It is a favorite Filipino meal served during parties, festivities and other special occasions. The common ingredients is goat shoulders with tomato paste and liver spread, but in this version I am using beef but the method of cooking is nearly the same.
How to cook Beef Kaldereta?
- 500 grams beef, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Â½ cup mang tomas sauce
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1 piece potato
- 1 piece carrot
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup canned green peas
- 1/2 tsp salt (or as desired)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or as desired)
- 2 tsp sugar (or as desired)
- Heat the pan, pour cooking oil then fry the potatoes and carrots until light brown. Remove the potatoes and carrots. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute the onion and garlic.
- Add beef and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add water and boil until the meat is tender. ( about 1 hour and 30 minutes as I am not using pressure cooker this time)
- Add tomato sauce and mang tomas sauce then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, bay leaves, and bell pepper then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green peas, salt, sugar, and pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
- Share and happy eating!
You might also like: