Kwek-kwek (Eggballs) is a kind of street food commonly sold along the streets in the Philippines. It is made up of hard-boiled chicken eggs individually wrapped in orange batter, which are fried until golden brown.
How to make a Kwek-kwek?
- 6-8 pieces hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tbsp anatto powder
- 2 cups cooking oil
- add water if needed
- Place the cornstarch in a container and roll the hard boiled eggs. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix well the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dilute the anatto powder in warm water then pour into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Place all the hard boiled eggs in the mixing bowl and coat with the batter.
- Heat the pan and pour-in the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the coated eggs.
- After a few minutes, remove the fried eggs from the pan (or until crispy).
- Prepare tomatoes and cucumber (optional).
- Serve with vinegar and salt while still crispy.
- Share and happy eating!
Here's a tip:
You might also like: