Chinese Bun (Mantou) is a type of steamed bread originating in China. They are usually made with flour, water and leavening agents. This bun is so popular that it needs no introduction. It is very tasty and easy to make.
How to make a Steamed Chinese Bun?
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4 tbsp sugar (added to yeast mixture)
- 2 1/2 flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (added to flour mixture)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp shortening
- In a bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Mix until dissolve. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture and the shortening. Mix well until it forms a dough. Knead the combined mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Cover and set aside for at least 45 minutes.
- Knead the dough again then cut into individual slices.
- Roll each piece into a bun shape.
- Steam for about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait for 5 minutes before removing the steamer cover.
- Remove the buns from the steamer. Place it on a serving plate. Then serve.
- Share and happy eating!
You might also like: